Call Us Today | Free Consultation ! 404-298-0795|info@gawrongfuldeathlawyer.com

Chicago

Wrongful death suit in Quebec train crash filed in US

(Reuters) – The guardian of a girl whose Canadian father died in the tragic Quebec train crash this month filed a wrongful death lawsuit in Illinois on Monday against a number of railway and fuel services companies connected with the disaster.

The lawsuit is believed to be the first filed in the United States related to the train derailment in the early hours of July 6 that sent 72 tankers of crude oil crashing into the village of Lac-Megantic in Quebec, where they exploded in a ball of fire, killing almost 50 people.

Annick Roy, the guardian of Fanny Roy Veilleux, whose father Jean-Guy Veilleux, a Lac-Megantic resident, allegedly burned to death as a result of the train crash, filed the lawsuit in Cook County. Court documents did not provide the age of Fanny Roy Veilleux, but described her as a minor daughter.

The defendants include railroad operator Montreal Maine and Atlantic Railway Inc, its parent company Rail World Inc, MMA Chairman Edward Burkhardt, and fuel services company World Fuel Services Corp.

Roy alleges in the suit that the companies largely failed to keep the train’s oil tankers, known as DOT-111s, up to reasonable government safety standards and are therefore negligent in the death of Veilleux.

“For more than 20 years, problems with DOT-111 tankers rupturing upon derailment have been well documented by government safety regulators and media outlets,” Roy said in the lawsuit. “The railroad and petroleum industries have long acknowledged the design flaws in the DOT-111, but have consistently ignored the (National Transportation Safety Board’s) calls to address the dangers associated with rupture of the tankers.”

Roy said in the lawsuit that the tanker cars that spilled in Lac-Megantic were the same type that ruptured in a 2009 [...]

By |July 24th, 2013|News|Comments Off on Wrongful death suit in Quebec train crash filed in US|

Peterson lawyers seek dismissal of lawsuit – Chicago Tribune

Just days after a jury found Drew Peterson guilty of murdering his third wife, defense lawyers filed a motion Monday to dismiss a wrongful death lawsuit against the former Bolingbrook police sergeant.
Peterson, 58, was found guilty Thursday of drowning Kathleen Savio in 2004. The couple’s two sons have asked to be removed from a lawsuit filed on their behalf by Savio’s estate. During the second week of Peterson’s murder trial, Kris Peterson visited the Will County Courthouse the day after his 18th birthday to file paperwork in the civil case. Kris spoke briefly with his father during a break in the murder trial, leaving the courtroom before testimony resumed.
Kris’ 19-year-old brother, Thomas, was allowed to be removed from the case when he turned 18 last year, and Peterson’s lawyers have said that under Illinois law, the wrongful death case cannot move forward because only a victim’s children — or spouse — can make a claim for compensation in a wrongful death case. The civil case has been on hold while the criminal trial was pending.
Martin Glink, an attorney for Savio’s estate, said Monday that the lawsuit still can move forward, and he speculated that Savio’s sons may have been pressured into withdrawing from the case. Since Peterson’s arrest in 2009, both lived with their older half brother, Stephen Peterson, Drew Peterson’s son from a previous marriage. Thomas Peterson is now a student at the University of Pennsylvania.
“It’s a very interesting question” whether the case can move forward with neither of Savio’s sons apparently interested in pursuing it, Glink said.
“I know (Savio’s sons) would deny they were manipulated, but we all know Drew Peterson is a master manipulator,” he said.

By |September 11th, 2012|News|Comments Off on Peterson lawyers seek dismissal of lawsuit – Chicago Tribune|