Call Us Today | Free Consultation ! 404-298-0795|info@gawrongfuldeathlawyer.com

claim

Trayvon Martin’s family reportedly settles wrongful-death claim – Los Angeles Times

The family of Trayvon Martin, the teen who was shot dead by a Neighborhood Watch volunteer last year in an Orlando, Fla., suburb, appears to have settled a civil suit claiming wrongful death against the subdivision’s homeowners association for a possible six-figure amount.

Citing Seminole County court records, the Orlando Sentinel reported on Friday that the settlement could total $ 1 million or more. A few pages of the document were made available to the public, but the amount of the settlement was blacked out. The agreement stipulated that those involved would keep the dollar amount private.
As part of the settlement, the homeowners association acknowledged no wrongdoing.
According to the Sentinel, the association took out a $ 1-million insurance policy a few weeks after the shooting. A receptionist at the office of homeowners association attorney Thomas R. Slaten Jr. said he would not answer questions.
On Feb. 26 last year, George Zimmerman shot Martin at the Retreat at Twin Lakes town homes complex in Sanford, Fla. Zimmerman was the head of the local Neighborhood Watch at the time.
Before the fatal confrontation, Zimmerman had spotted Martin walking in the neighborhood and had called police, reporting the teen as looking suspicious. After being confronted by Martin, Zimmerman told police he fired in self-defense when the teen attacked him. Martin was unarmed.
The issue made headlines nationwide, in part because of accusations that Zimmerman acted on racist assumptions about Martin, who was black. Zimmerman’s attorney has denied those allegations.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder and is scheduled to go to trial in June.
Benjamin Crump, attorney for the Martin family, was not available for comment on the reported settlement of the family’s civil [...]

By |April 6th, 2013|News|Comments Off on Trayvon Martin’s family reportedly settles wrongful-death claim – Los Angeles Times|

Wrongful death claim in SD Border Patrol shooting – Las Vegas Sun

The Associated Press
Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012 | 3:36 a.m.
The family of a woman who was shot and killed by a Border Patrol agent near San Diego has filed a wrongful death claim, saying the agent had a history of misconduct in his previous job.
An attorney for the family of Valeria Alvarado’s filed the claim with the Border Patrol on Friday and gave The Associated Press a copy.
The claim, required before a lawsuit, says 34-year-old agent Justin Tackett was suspended four times for misconduct in about four years as a Imperial County deputy, and quit in 2003 before he could be fired.
The Border Patrol declined comment, and Tackett could not immediately be reached.
Authorities say Alvarado deliberately ran into Tackett with her car on Sept. 28, and he shot her fearing for his life.

By |October 18th, 2012|News|Comments Off on Wrongful death claim in SD Border Patrol shooting – Las Vegas Sun|