Call Us Today | Free Consultation ! 404-298-0795|info@gawrongfuldeathlawyer.com

involving

Judge: Wrongful-death case involving York woman will be heard in Newport News – Daily Press

NEWPORT NEWS — A Newport News Circuit Court judge denied a motion to have the trial involving a $ 2 million wrongful-death lawsuit moved to another city.
The family of Jacquelynn Schwartz filed the lawsuit late last year against medical company Conmed. Schwartz, 31, was found dead in her jail cell July 18, 2011 — three days after she was held in contempt by a Virginia Beach General District Court judge.
Jeff Rosen, an attorney for Conmed, argued that the case be heard in Virginia Beach instead of Newport News because the company doesn’t do substantial business in Newport News. During the Feb. 21 hearing, Rosen said that because Schwartz’s death occurred in Virginia Beach and there are potentially 35 witnesses from Virginia Beach who may testify, that the case should be heard there.

Thomas Albro, one of the attorneys representing the Schwartz family, argued that the company does substantial business in Newport News, which is grounds for the case to be conducted there.

Sign up for breaking news text alerts.

“The court accepts the representation of the plaintiff as to the percentage of business the contract with Conmed for the Newport News City Jail and the Newport News Juvenile Detention Facility represents to Conmed’s business within the Commonwealth of Virginia,” Fisher wrote.
Conmed provides all the healthcare services for the Newport News Correctional Facilities, Fisher noted in his Feb. 22 order.
Schwartz, 31, was found dead in her jail cell July 18, 2011 — three days after she was held in contempt by a Virginia Beach General District Court judge. Schwartz’s husband, David LaClair, is suing Conmed and three nurses it employed. The three nurses were on duty while Schwartz was in the jail’s custody.

By |March 2nd, 2013|News|Comments Off on Judge: Wrongful-death case involving York woman will be heard in Newport News – Daily Press|

Wrongful death lawsuit involving former Anheuser Busch executive and a … – KSPR

A southeast Missouri judge says he’s close to resolving a wrongful-death lawsuit against the former Anheuser Busch Chief Executive.According to the Associate Press,  the judge told both sides he’ll decide the civil lawsuit involving August Busch IV on November 14. At that time, the judge says he will determine whether to accept or reject Busch’s offer of $ 1.55 million to end the lawsuit filed on behalf of Adrienne Martin’s son and mother.   
Martin was Busch’s girlfriend when she died in a 2010 drug overdose. The 27 year old Martin was from Springfield and died in what authorities call an accidental overdose at Busch’s St. Louis-area home. An autopsy revealed prolonged cocaine use and found that Martin had suffered an overdose of oxycodone.

Never miss a story – get KSPR news in your e-mail!

By |October 11th, 2012|News|Comments Off on Wrongful death lawsuit involving former Anheuser Busch executive and a … – KSPR|