Call Us Today | Free Consultation ! 404-298-0795|info@gawrongfuldeathlawyer.com

Journal

Jury selection under way in BB&T wrongful death trial – Winston-Salem Journal

GREENSBORO – Jury selection has started in a wrongful death civil trial involving BB&T Corp. and a woman claiming the company destroyed cell phone records to avoid liability in a car crash that killed her daughter. The case is in Guilford Superior Court.
Leslie Page Gill filed suit last year against BB&T Insurance Services and the estate of Stuart Thomas, the father of her daughter, Emma.

Stuart Thomas, 49, and Emma Thomas, 16, died in an August 2011 wreck on Interstate 40 in Mocksville.
Thomas’ SUV slammed into the back of a tractor-trailer that had slowed down as traffic merged into the left lane. The right lane was closed. Stuart Thomas was killed instantly, and Emma Thomas, who was transported by helicopter to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, died two days later.
Gill alleges Thomas, a vice president at BB&T Insurance Services, was talking on his cellphone for work at the time of the crash.
Gill’s attorney also claims the company deleted Thomas’ emails and voicemails and sent a “wipe” order to delete all the information on his cellphone. Thomas’ widow, Andrea, has denied he was using his cellphone at the time of the crash.
BB&T has denied liability in the case.

© 2013 Winston-Salem Journal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

By |March 27th, 2013|News|Comments Off on Jury selection under way in BB&T wrongful death trial – Winston-Salem Journal|

Father files wrongful death lawsuit in death of abused son – Las Vegas Review – Journal

Posted: Feb. 14, 2013 | 6:16 p.m.
A wrongful death lawsuit alleging several state and county agencies failed to protect a 7-year-old boy from beatings that proved fatal was filed Thursday on behalf of the boy’s father.
Roderick “RJ” Arrington’s physical abuse, alleged to have been inflicted by his mother and stepfather, was reported Nov. 28 by Roundy Elementary School officials to county child welfare personnel. School employees had seen “extensive scarring” on RJ’s back, according to the lawsuit in Clark County District Court.
But RJ was allowed to return to his mother and stepfather and died Nov. 30.
Attorney Matthew Callister, who represents RJ’s father, Roderick Devon Arrington Sr., said the boy’s death was preventable.
Negligence and the failure to act by the agencies responsible for determining the severity of reported child abuse led to RJ’s death, he said.
“This was a disposable child in the eyes of somebody,” Callister said. “I do not believe if this were my kid, this would have happened.”
RJ had told school employees that when he got in trouble, his mother and her boyfriend hit him on the back or butt with a TV cord, broom handle, spatula and belt, the lawsuit said.
The lawsuit names several defendants, including the state of Nevada, state Division of Child and Family Services, Clark County, Clark County Department of Family Services, Clark County Child Protective Services and the Clark County School District.
Kristi Jourdan, spokeswoman for Clark County Family Services, said her agency does not comment on pending litigation. Officials with the School District could not be reached late Thursday afternoon.
Las Vegas police said RJ was beaten by his stepfather, Markiece Palmer, 34, for lying about reading a Bible [...]

By |February 15th, 2013|News|Comments Off on Father files wrongful death lawsuit in death of abused son – Las Vegas Review – Journal|