Call Us Today | Free Consultation ! 404-298-0795|info@gawrongfuldeathlawyer.com

press

Judge: Wrongful-death case involving York woman will be heard in Newport News – Daily Press

NEWPORT NEWS — A Newport News Circuit Court judge denied a motion to have the trial involving a $ 2 million wrongful-death lawsuit moved to another city.
The family of Jacquelynn Schwartz filed the lawsuit late last year against medical company Conmed. Schwartz, 31, was found dead in her jail cell July 18, 2011 — three days after she was held in contempt by a Virginia Beach General District Court judge.
Jeff Rosen, an attorney for Conmed, argued that the case be heard in Virginia Beach instead of Newport News because the company doesn’t do substantial business in Newport News. During the Feb. 21 hearing, Rosen said that because Schwartz’s death occurred in Virginia Beach and there are potentially 35 witnesses from Virginia Beach who may testify, that the case should be heard there.

Thomas Albro, one of the attorneys representing the Schwartz family, argued that the company does substantial business in Newport News, which is grounds for the case to be conducted there.

Sign up for breaking news text alerts.

“The court accepts the representation of the plaintiff as to the percentage of business the contract with Conmed for the Newport News City Jail and the Newport News Juvenile Detention Facility represents to Conmed’s business within the Commonwealth of Virginia,” Fisher wrote.
Conmed provides all the healthcare services for the Newport News Correctional Facilities, Fisher noted in his Feb. 22 order.
Schwartz, 31, was found dead in her jail cell July 18, 2011 — three days after she was held in contempt by a Virginia Beach General District Court judge. Schwartz’s husband, David LaClair, is suing Conmed and three nurses it employed. The three nurses were on duty while Schwartz was in the jail’s custody.

By |March 2nd, 2013|News|Comments Off on Judge: Wrongful-death case involving York woman will be heard in Newport News – Daily Press|

Family of Illinois State Trooper Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit – Law Firm Newswire (press release)

Chicago, IL (Law Firm Newswire) February 25, 2013 – A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed by the family of an Illinois State Trooper who was hit by a tractor-trailer.

The Illinois State Trooper was struck and killed by a truck during a traffic stop on Interstate 55. The family of Trooper Kyle Deatherage filed the wrongful death lawsuit against DOT Foods, the owner of the truck.
“This is a tragic incident,” said Chicago car accident attorney Robert Briskman, who is not involved in the case. “If the trooper’s death was caused by the driver’s negligence, then a wrongful death lawsuit is the appropriate action to take.”
Deatherage, 32, was conducting a traffic stop along Interstate 55 near Litchfield, Illinois on November 26 when he was struck and killed by the tractor-trailer operated by DOT Foods.
Deatherage’s family alleges in the wrongful death lawsuit that the driver of the truck suffered from a diabetic condition that could cause him to lose consciousness while driving. The lawsuit claims that DOT Foods should have discovered this condition and should not have hired the driver. The driver has not been charged with a crime.
In December of 2012, the U.S. Department of Transportation revoked the driver’s license, ruling that he was not medically fit to drive and had not exercised due care regarding his medical condition.
Illinois law requires drivers to move over for stopped emergency vehicles. The state recorded 952 traffic fatalities in 2012, an increase from 918 the previous year.
DOT Foods said in a statement that the company has no evidence that the medical condition of the driver played any role in the collision. The company said that the driver was a military veteran with [...]

By |February 25th, 2013|News|Comments Off on Family of Illinois State Trooper Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit – Law Firm Newswire (press release)|