Call Us Today | Free Consultation ! 404-298-0795|info@gawrongfuldeathlawyer.com

settled

Wrongful death suits settled in Mt. Top crash – Standard Speaker

The parents of a 16-year-old boy killed last summer in an alcohol-related rollover crash in Mountain Top have settled a wrongful death lawsuit against the driver and the man who purportedly supplied him with alcohol.
Daniel and Carolyn Madry of Wright Township will receive a $ 400,000 uninsured motorist payout from USAA Casualty Insurance, $ 100,000 from AAA Mid-Atlantic and $ 25,000 from GEICO, according to court documents filed last week.
Attorneys for the Madrys are expected to take 40 percent of the settlement payments, which cover the driver, Adam Fredmund, and the alleged alcohol supplier, Kenneth J. Rushinski, along with compensation for unspecified for costs.
A lawsuit against the Glen Summit Co., which owns the gravel road leading to a private lake in Fairview Township where the crash occurred, will continue, according to the documents.
Fredmund, while buzzed on alcohol-infused iced tea, sped along the road in his sister’s 2004 Kia around 2:06 a.m. July 18, 2011, racing away from a Fairview Township house party at nearly 60 mph, according to prosecutors. The car fishtailed and flipped, and Madry was ejected.
Fredmund told investigators he drank two bottles of Twisted Tea before asking Madry to go with him for a ride and a cigarette despite not having a driver’s license, prosecutors said.
A judge last September ordered Fredmund to serve an indefinite term at United Children’s Home in West Hazleton.

By |August 13th, 2012|News|Comments Off on Wrongful death suits settled in Mt. Top crash – Standard Speaker|

Immigrant’s wrongful death suit settled – Atlanta Journal Constitution

Print
E-mail

By Jeremy Redmon
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
The widow of a Mexican native who died while in the custody of federal immigration authorities in Georgia has reached a settlement with the government in the $ 1 million wrongful death lawsuit she filed in March.

But attorneys representing the federal government, Sara Hernandez-Gonzalez and her late husband, Roberto Medina-Martinez, are declining to disclose the terms of their settlement. They intend to finalize their agreement by September and then file papers to dismiss the case, court records show.
“I am pleased that our efforts were able to result in a successful resolution of the claims arising from the death of Roberto Medina-Martinez,” Brian Spears, one of the plaintiff’s attorneys, said in an email Wednesday. “Although his wife and children continue to mourn the loss of his life, they are ready now to move forward.”
In her lawsuit, Hernandez-Gonzalez said her late husband died from myocarditis —- or an inflammation of the heart muscle —- because of the federal government’s negligence.
In a response to her lawsuit last month, the government denied negligence and said it “did not breach any duty of care in connection with the allegations” in the lawsuit.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement rejected an earlier claim for $ 1 million from Hernandez-Gonzalez in September, telling her attorney that he had “failed to establish that any negligent or wrongful act or omission of a federal government employee caused this alleged incident.”
In January of 2009, police arrested Medina-Martinez in North Carolina for driving without a license and speeding. Medina-Martinez was a Mexican citizen who had entered the country illegally in 2001, ICE records show. He was transferred to the ICE detention center [...]

By |July 18th, 2012|News|Comments Off on Immigrant’s wrongful death suit settled – Atlanta Journal Constitution|