Call Us Today | Free Consultation ! 404-298-0795|info@gawrongfuldeathlawyer.com

settles

Catholic diocese settles wrongful-death lawsuit during jury selection in … – Kansas City Star

By JUDY L. THOMAS The Kansas City Star
The Kansas City-St. Joseph Diocese has settled a wrongful-death lawsuit for $ 2.25 million with the parents of a boy who allegedly took his own life 30 years ago because of repeated sexual abuse by a Kansas City priest.

File photo Brian Teeman, 14, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in November 1983 at the family’s home in Independence.
File photo by SHANE KEYSER | The Kansas City Star Donald Teeman (from left), Jackie Teeman, Rosemary Teemanand Jon David Couzens held photos of Brian Teeman in September 2011 outside the headquarters of Catholic Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph as they announced a new civil lawsuit accusing Msgr. Thomas J. O’Brien of causing Brian Teeman’s death in 1983. A civil trial in the wrongful-death lawsuit begins Monday in Jackson County Circuit Court in Independence.

‹ ›
The settlement — the largest ever for the diocese in a single priest sexual abuse lawsuit — came on Monday afternoon as jury selection was underway for the trial in Jackson County Circuit Court in Independence.
“This is one of the most significant cases we’ve ever worked on,” said Rebecca Randles, the attorney for Donald and Rosemary Teeman, who filed the lawsuit against the diocese and Monsignor Thomas J. O’Brien in 2011 after a man who served as an altar boy with their son, Brian, told them of the alleged abuse. Brian Teeman, 14, died of a gunshot wound in November 1983 at the family’s home in Independence.
“This allows everyone to put this behind them,” Randles said. “It allows closure at this point in time. And it sends a message that no matter how long ago something like this happens, there [...]

By |July 9th, 2013|News|Comments Off on Catholic diocese settles wrongful-death lawsuit during jury selection in … – Kansas City Star|

Trayvon Martin’s family reportedly settles wrongful-death claim – Los Angeles Times

The family of Trayvon Martin, the teen who was shot dead by a Neighborhood Watch volunteer last year in an Orlando, Fla., suburb, appears to have settled a civil suit claiming wrongful death against the subdivision’s homeowners association for a possible six-figure amount.

Citing Seminole County court records, the Orlando Sentinel reported on Friday that the settlement could total $ 1 million or more. A few pages of the document were made available to the public, but the amount of the settlement was blacked out. The agreement stipulated that those involved would keep the dollar amount private.
As part of the settlement, the homeowners association acknowledged no wrongdoing.
According to the Sentinel, the association took out a $ 1-million insurance policy a few weeks after the shooting. A receptionist at the office of homeowners association attorney Thomas R. Slaten Jr. said he would not answer questions.
On Feb. 26 last year, George Zimmerman shot Martin at the Retreat at Twin Lakes town homes complex in Sanford, Fla. Zimmerman was the head of the local Neighborhood Watch at the time.
Before the fatal confrontation, Zimmerman had spotted Martin walking in the neighborhood and had called police, reporting the teen as looking suspicious. After being confronted by Martin, Zimmerman told police he fired in self-defense when the teen attacked him. Martin was unarmed.
The issue made headlines nationwide, in part because of accusations that Zimmerman acted on racist assumptions about Martin, who was black. Zimmerman’s attorney has denied those allegations.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder and is scheduled to go to trial in June.
Benjamin Crump, attorney for the Martin family, was not available for comment on the reported settlement of the family’s civil [...]

By |April 6th, 2013|News|Comments Off on Trayvon Martin’s family reportedly settles wrongful-death claim – Los Angeles Times|